In a nutshell
"The land which is the queen of hills and the mighty, tea king; that extraordinary land is Darjeeling.
The land which delights one’s heart and pleases one’s eyes; that is the land of the six T’s"
Darjeeling is the hill station-town situated in West Bengal which gives a clear view of the third highest glistening peak of the world- Kunchenjunga. This is the land of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. This perfect blend of nature, religion and culture is eulogized by every person whose eyes meet its beauty. Famous all over the world for it's tea. this land of Dali, Ghoom, Tashi Dargyalingh and Aloobari Monastery provides a perfect ambient environment for anyone who is seeking peace. The place is often called as the land of six T's- Tea, Teak, Tourism, Toy Train, Tiger Hill and Trekker's Paradise.
How to Reach:
Air: Bagdora Airport at Siliguri, 96 km from Darjeeling, is the prime and the closest one. Daily flights are available from Delhi & Kolkata. But it's advisable to book well in advance.
Rail: If you're travelling from Delhi then trains are available upto New Jalpaiguri (69 km away from Darjeeling), near Siliguri. From here you'll have to use the "toy train" or the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway to reach Darjeeling. If you are moving from Kolkata then you can preferably take up Darjeeling Mail.
Road: Taxis and shared jeep are quite popular means of transport to reach Darjeeling from Siliguri (the closest town). A taxi may cost upto Rs. 1800 but shared jeeps are cheap enough and their price vary from Rs. 100 to 200. Even regular buses are available from Siliguri to Darjeeling.
Distance from Delhi- 1450 kms, Distance from Kolkata- 650 kms, Distance from Siliguri- 65 kms.
Located at a distance of 5 kms from Darjeeling, this loop near the small town Ghum. It is here where the Toy Train makes a 360 Degree turn. This is a wonderful little spot which has to be seen.
This ancient monastery is said to have been blessed by the renowned Tomo Geshe Rimpoche of Tibet. The specialty of this monastery is that it contains the statue of the 'Future Coming Buddha' known as Maitreye Buddha. The Monastery has also preserved some of the rare handwritten Buddhist Manuscript.
Situated at an altitude of 2590 meters (8482 ft.) and 13 kilometers from the town, this spot has earned international fame for the magnificent view of the sunrise over the "Kanchanjunga" and the great eastern Himalayan Mountains.
Situated along the slopes of Jawahar Parbhat, Darjeeling, this park has a good collection of animals found in the Himalayan region. Red Panda is shown in the picture.
The Mag-Dhog Yolmowa Buddhist Monastery (Aloobari Monastery)
Though, a well-known name in the town. We still believe that this monastery is still as famous as her potential. The construction of the monastery, coincided with the beginning of the First World War 1914. It is dedicated to the cause of World. Hope she becomes the reason for it!
Best Time to Visit
- One mustn't miss the sunrise view from the tiger hill.
- One must visit the Shruberry Health Club- Less visited but offers unique and charming views of Kanchenjunga.Few locals can been found jogging here and offering prayers to various deities.
- One must buy Curio items pertaining to Tibetan and Himalayan cultures, such as thangkas, miniature monasteries and garments made from yak wool. Shops are located in and around the Rink Mall, Chowrasta and Darjeeling Local Haat.
- One must visit Hand Pick- Located inside the Rink Mall, this place offers a plethora of handicrafts not only from in and around Darjeeling but several places across the country. Ethic garments, statues in wood, metal, etc., leather goods & ethnic dresses & footwear, singing bowls, artificial jewellery, paintings, thangkas, Rajasthani decorware & gift ware, furnishings, etc. Prices labelled & reasonable.
- One must travel by the toy train.
- Watching the sun come up in the morning from the Tiger Hill.
- Travelling in the famous Toy Train especially along the Batasia Loop.
- Trekking is one activity you must take if adventure excites you.
- Do go for some local Tea-Tasting, even if its not your cup of tea!
- Batasia Loop and Toy Train- No journey is complete without these two names.
- One mustn't miss the spectacular sunrise view and views of mighty Kanchenjunga from the tiger hill.
- Go local here- you get some of the best local food in small tiny shacks. Remember- visit the place which is more popular amongst the locals. They know better after all!
This gorgeous place near Darjeeling consists of Dr Graham's Homes School, Durpindara, Gouripur House, Kalimpong Market, Kalibari, Flower Nurseries, Thongsha Gumpa, Tharpa Choling Monastery, Mangal Dham, Zong Dong Palri Fo-Brang Monastery, Pedong Monastry, Excursion and Picnic spots: Rissisum and various other unexplored places which can be of great interests to the tourists.
"The place of white orchids"- Kurseong, is also quite close to Darjeeling. It is the land where Rabindranath Tagore penned down some of his great compositions. Its peace, serenity and healthy climate attracts a number of tourists.
"Nest in the hills"- Mirik is an ideal place to visit because of its Lake, Kawlay Dara, Deosi Dara, Rai Dhap, Tea Estates, Orange Orchards, Cardamom Grave and Devi-Sthan.
Munpoo is about 35km from Darjeeling and can be reached by travelling towards east through Ghoom Jorebunglow. It has rivulets, healthy tea gardens and it is famous for it Cinchona Plantations.